Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Already an adventure!




Well, what do you know? I haven't even been here 24 hours and there are already fun things to share...Keeping this blog updated is going to be a full-time job...I may not be able to teach.

Well, I arrived here just fine after a mere 14 hours on the plane. And BTW, it wasn't THAT bad. I wasn't able to sleep a lot, but the time passed. Counting how many times a person blinks in an hour kept me entertained.
A Korean man sitting next to me was about my age and helped me after getting off the plane to get on the correct bus and call my supervisor (Angie) so she could pick me up. He even called my supervisor back after she picked me up to make sure I made it ok! (I know I'm hot, but GOSH!)
It was a 2 hour bus ride from the airport to where I was going, so I finally arrived at around 7pm Sunday night (Seoul time). My supervisor was waiting for me with another teacher at my school from Prince Edward Island (Canada?-I know I've had P.E.I. mussels) and he helped with my just-made-the-weight-limit-luggage. It was nice to be able to talk to both of them in English! We hopped in a taxi and they took me to a motel I will be staying in for about a week...I guess the apartment I will be staying in is still occupied and that person will be moving out next Saturday. But anyway, the motel is funny, the name is Four Season (singular). It is in an alley and we walked through a garage door opening to get in (with fringes hanging down). Andrew (from P.E.I.) explained that it is a "love motel" meaning that lots of Korean couples (who aren't married) go there to "ahem, how do you say...do their thing" since most people live with their parents before they are married so they have no where to go to spend alone time together. OR married Koreans who want to CHEAT on their spouse go there. (this is why it's all back-alley and your identity can be disguised if you don't want to get caught). Nothing like getting treated to the best the city has to offer...It is a small room but ok to stay in for a week. There are some funky things around that I don't understand--like a blacklight poster in the hall with a naked woman on it (and there are no blacklights...) They also have a video library that I can use with great movies like "Lethal Weapon 3" dubbed in Korean. Sweet. Everything in the room is operated by remote control--the lights, the A/C, the TV...and of course I can't read the buttons so it's always a surprise to find out what's gonna happen when I push it... Most of the stations on the TV are in Korean (duh) but last night I was able to fall asleep to an interview with Steve Carell of "The Office" and "40-year old Virgin". Made my night.
On the way to my love motel you will be interested (not to mention excited) to know that there is a "Papa John's" pizza place, a KFC, Baskin Robbins and a Puma store. That's right, good ol' globalization.
That's it for now...I haven't had the experience of getting food yet...I've been living on granola bars. But I think it's time! I'm starved.
Can't wait to hear from you and keep you updated!

1 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

Sounds like quite the trip so far! Keep us posted!

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home