Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Subway

Well, today I got to take the subway to the YBM head office for orientation. I've ridden quite a few subways- Chicago (L), Metro in Paris, NYC Subway, The Tube in London...but I've got to say the subway here is top notch--very efficient--there are stations every couple blocks and luckily all the stops are written in English as well as hangul (Korean alphabet) because of a law that was recently passed. I really don't know what I would have done if there were no english letters. Probably would take all day to figure out where I'm going. However, there are like 17 exits per station so you really have to know where you're going or you could come up from underground totally disoriented. Hasn't happened to me yet. One thing that isn't so great is that the subways are SUPER crowded at rush hour--I mean Summerfest sidestage crowded--people jam-packed together like pickles in a jar, (reference from Ellen Degeneres) pushing to get on and off. However, contrary to what you may be thinking, it doesn't smell! (unlike NYC subway). Another interesting fact that adds to my amazement on that point is that people here do not, I repeat, do not wear deodorant. All of the "Living in Korea" guidebooks make a point of telling the transplant that so that they stock up on it before they come (and I did). So how is that possible, you ask? I have yet to find out.
The city of Seoul is so large it can take up to 2 hours to get from one end to the other by subway. That's right, with NO traffic. Massive. It's nice because I don't have to transfer lines to get from my apartment (or love motel) to school. Rock! And it's only 80 cents per ride. That sure beats Milwaukee County Transit System's $1.75 per bus ride!!

Another thing that I'm surprised by (one of many) is that I don't see any non-Asians. The only place I have seen a few are at the school I am working. But none on the street, or in the subways, so it's really interesting to be the minority for once. Serves me right. :) I thought there would be sort of a New York City vibe here with a melting pot of cultures but it's not like that at all, at least in the areas I've been so far. As I was standing in the subway there were some middle-school girls giggling and speaking really fast Korean in front of me...I realized they had a camera phone and were taking pictures of me when I wasn't looking. I looked over and there was more giggling and whispering. Hmmmm... I hope they got my good side. But yeah, it's weird walking down the street and seeing no one of your ethnic decent.
Communicating is a whole nother story. I'm glad I like playing charades. Thankfully, people are really friendly about it and go out of their way to help. Very good impressions so far...

1 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

You'll have to go to DC sometime - the Metro is really quite nice.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home