Thursday, August 17, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth Amendment

Ok. Let me be more clear, after reading some of the comments to my last entry (an individual or machine named "ANONYMOUS"who never actually saw the movie makes a credible and compelling case, I'm sure, thank you for your input). I don't give a flying f*ck about Al Gore. I voted for him, sure, but that was not the point. Mr. Rogers could have made this film for all I care. I am not saying you should buy into every little fact that Al presents. Be a critical consumer of this information as I hope you are of all information you receive. I could care less if you are liberal or conservative. MY POINT is that this movie will get people thinking about something important and useful (unlike a lot of other movies that we ---including me---watch).
There are some interesting facts presented that will get "some" people thinking. I'm sure many people aren't open to this sort of "environmental propoganda"....understandable. I can see how the earth has been trying to screw us over for years (sarcasm intended). Regardless, after watching it I felt better informed and concerned about global warming. That is why I requested that you watch the movie.
Unfortunately, Al Gore's name attached to the film will be detrimental as some of the more conservative members of society will refuse to see it because they will look at it as a piece of liberal propoganda. That's really sad, because the content should be important to all of us who share this world. If it benefits Gore in some way for us to see the film, fine. Just like we're putting money directly into the pockets of Mel Gibson or Tom Cruise with every box office hit they've been a part of, those self-interested bastards.
Whatever political agenda may be behind this, I'm sure everyone who watches it is not going to run right out and by a hybrid car. When I saw it, it made me think, hmmmm, maybe this is something that we all need to be a little more concerned about than we have been. I don't think the demise of the planet as we know it will be here in 10 years, (neither does he) but I think it's important for us to start thinking about how we've been pissing on our planet and maybe make a few minor changes. How can you argue that we haven't done any damage?? The extent of the damage may be debatable, but there's no question that if we continue to damage the earth at the pace we have, we are screwing things for the future generations and possibly for ourselves.

Furthermore, I didn't mean to directly compare Milwaukee to Seoul. By size of the cities alone (not to mention the giant Korean population), there is no comparison. I love Milwaukee and I've seen the steps it has made towards a more environmentally- friendly existence. I had a car in Milwaukee, because you need one to get by there. And I recycled in Milwaukee, as I'm sure you all do. My point (which I seemedl to have failed in making) in talking about Seoul and how it treats the environment was to be informative. I have never lived in another city for this length of time and I am noticing that they do things differently. It would be ignorant of me not to notice these differences. I thought that sharing them with you would be interesting and informative, not offensive. My apologies for that. You know that Milwaukee and I are close friends.

Now I'm going to go smoke up with the rest of the hippies. Peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

Yikes...what I do is delete comments from "Anonymous" people (except Todd because I know when it's him) because they can hide behind that label and drop lame comments like they did on your posts. Keep up the good work!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Interesting how some people opt not to see the importance of a message (nevermind recognizing an OPINION when they see one) and instead decide to kill the messenger...

All your ideas made sense to me. Pass me the pipe, girl.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home