Friday, November 25, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving. I nearly forgot about it since it's not celebrated here. No turkey for me. The only other American teacher from my school invited me to go for Thanksgiving drinks (just as good as turkey, no?) after work Thursday, and I was introduced to several other American teachers (from different schools). One from Michigan, one from Ohio, one from Minnesota, Colorado, and California.
They're all pretty nice, and I'm the newbie, so they are eager to take me under their wing(s) and show me the ropes. 2 of them are Korean-American, and they can speak Korean really well because they grew up speaking it in their household. I thought I'd have a lot of free time here, but I'm just as busy as I was back home. No time to sit around and be lonely, that's for sure. In fact, I wish I had more time to read and relax. Damn job. My life would be so much more fun if work didn't get in the way. ;)
It's funny, all day a language that I can't understand is being spoken around me...I just tune it out because it sounds like giberish to me. Since I've been here of course I've picked up a few necessary words, like "hello", "thank you" and "whitey". That's right, I just learned the word for "white person" in Korean (or more appropriately, "whitey")---it's "waygu". I guess it's used a lot when referring to us foreigners. Thursday night on my way back from drinks I could hear it being yelled at me (in a non-threatening way, of course mom). Now that I know certain words, my ears tune into only those words. Especially when drinking is involved, all inhibitions just leave. They will come up to you in the street and attempt any english word they know "hi how are you" and "america?" or "canada?" in a broken accent. And they are just so thrilled to speak those 4 little words and they want recognition, dammit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home