Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Belly-dancing Korean style

Another teacher and I decided to join the neighborhood gym. We priced 2 different ones, and found our best bet to be one with a sauna, personal trainer (included in cost!), and classes. Tonight we went for the first time. They gave us their uniforms to wear (reminiscent of high school gym class-not attractive uniforms--knee length navy shorts and a gray "well-being fitness" t-shirt). We got measured and weighed (in kilos-so I could be skinny for all I know!) and they set up a fitness plan for each of us. Luckily the manager speaks English pretty well, because the personal trainer had a pretty limited vocabulary and kept saying stuff like "fat" so we felt kind of bad. We are the only whiteys at the gym. They claimed they gave us a "special price" because we are foreigners. I find that hard to believe. Maybe he meant "special high price"...

Anyway, so Kristin and I took a belly-dancing class tonight (after basically being forced into it by our personal trainer). It was ridiculous. I have a hard enough time being coordinated in America, when the teacher speaks English. Taking an aerobic class in another language is hilarious. The teacher kept coming to us and physically moving our bodies into the correct position. I didn't think it would be that hard because you can just mimic what the instructor is doing. Of course our instructor was tiny, and she was wearing the belly-dancing genie pants with gold charms hanging off and a midriff top. Lucky her. The rest of us looked like idiots. Let me just tell you, doing belly-dancing in a gym uniform is not so seductive.
Luckily I have no problem making fun of myself...
I think I'll stick to the treadmill.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heehee! gym uniforms! i wonder why they require all gym-goers to wear uniforms? i you plan on taking pics and posting them..... ;)

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home