Friday, December 16, 2005

Perception

I knew that there would be things here that would be a bit different from back home. I didn't know exactly what they would be, or how they would affect me, but I am picking up on a few things.
One that I have noticed is that women aren't treated as well as men are here. I haven't had too many run-ins with this, but I really noticed it one night when I went out to dinner. There were 4 of us, two men and 2 women. The servers very pointedly served the men first--I mean they brought out their full dinners while Kristen and I waited quite a while before we got ours. I'm not trying to be snotty about it, like I think women should be served first, but it was something I took for granted back home and I just noticed it here.

Another different (and alarming!) thing I've noticed here is how important appearance is. And I thought America was bad. There are mirrors everywhere here, and it's pretty normal to see people checking themselves out whenever they can. I routinely see the school's manager and the secretary fixing each other's hair and putting on makeup in their little hand-held mirrors right at their desks in plain view. There are many very stylish people here, and you'll see women wearing mini-skirts with very thin nylons in 10 degree weather walking to the subway or hanging out in the streets (and they're not prostitutes). I'm all for style, but frostbite isn't all that stylish...
Also, I guess by Korean standards, I am considered fat. Many of the female Koreans I've met have been very weight-conscious. Very similar to the American obsession, but these girls are tiny. They literally are the size of kids. My supervisor thinks she's fat, and she is barely bigger than a twig, so I look like the Amazon woman next to her. I asked her about pant sizing here, and she said that my size would be considered Large and it will be difficult to find. It's weird because back home I am definitely average... what I don't understand is that I see people my size quite a bit here--and even bigger (if you can believe that)--yet they must not be able to readily find clothes?? I haven't seen any obese people here. Just "plump". And even then, not so many.
Being considered "fat" isn't all bad... I have boobs and they don't. Probably won't be able to find my bra size either. ha.
I also have very large feet here (again, back home they are normal sized--8.5). But here it is rare to find a shoe over size 8. There is a shoe store by the subway that I checked out tonight...their shoes were sized "S, M, L & G". Evidently I'm "G" or "Giant" sized. What the hell?

So anyway, my point is that I used to measure up as "average" (in terms of weight) against my peers. I have gotten used to that, and now that I'm here I am being measured against a whole new set of standards. I am now considered 'fat' and have big feet.
It's just crazy to think that I can feel differently about myself just being placed in a different environment. It has the potential to turn my self-image upside down and inside out...not that I'll let it...but it's interesting to think that the way I feel is relative and can be shaped and molded according to my surroundings...
I always knew that, but it's so apparent here...we get so stuck in our own lives and the same people around us that I think we forget...
So my new plan is to surround myself with very fat and unattractive people so I can feel great about myself!! :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you can come back and work with us at JBG again, that should make you feel thin and beautiful.

Curt

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home