Friday, March 03, 2006

Kindergarten Graduation??




Hi everyone...
It's been awhile since I've written because things have been busy here. The new semester in Korea for all students is March, so that means I will get new classes and new students. Some of our kindergarten classes have graduated, and our school held the most extensive kindergarten graduation that I have ever witnessed. It was more elaborate than my university graduation, I think. Everything is for show here, so god forbid an occasion goes by without a big hoopla surrounding it. The kindy kids (all of them, not just the ones who graduated) were involved in memorizing lines from songs, acting skits, and memorizing speeches. No kidding, I had to help 2 of my 4-5 year old students memorize a speech that went a little something like this "Hello everyone, and thank you for coming. Our friends have prepared a wonderful performance for all of you today. Please join us in watching them show off their talents to you.Turn off your cell phones, sit back, and enjoy the show...etc..." YEAH. Come on. Then they had to stand in front of a crowd of like 200 people and give their speech.
The costume changes were unreal. Every skit/song had a different outfit, so picture 7 foreign teachers who don't speak Korean and 7 Korean teachers helping 50 kids in and out of their clothes every 10 minutes. It was crazy. The little kids were soooo cute, but they were like programmed robots or something. Plus, they were wearing stage makeup, even the boys. The kids on stage even wore those little headband microphones, that sort of wind around their face. They looked like tiny pop stars. Check out the pictures...they are just so cute, but why do they work 'em so hard???

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We did NOT have a funky backdrop at our graduation, just a big curtain and the UWM seal! (not the barking kind either!) I guess I'm glad that we just had to figure out how the hoods worked rather than having to change outfits every five minutes. That would have been a nightmare and we would have had to try even harder to find safety pins. Ahhhhh, what a lovely Sunday that was. I can't believe it was almost a year ago!

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie Marino
Shannyun, I have to comment on eating the dog meat. Sounds like you woofed it down and only left a few scraps for the others.
Dog meat mixed in with vegatable, herbs, and a sause....who would know? I heard that since you ate dog you have been sniffing and licking more than usual.

P.S. I'm only joking.
----------------------------------

The kindergarten graduation was quite a production...I'm sure the little kids thought it was great.
All of the hoopla and extravagance around education is a part of their culture that makes it very different from ours. I just love the contrast!!!! I wonder if USA students would take education more seriously if even the smallest educational accomplishments were celebrated. Something to think about. I love this blog writing.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home