Friday, April 14, 2006

How much is that doggy in the window???





Ok. So I know I'll probably get a bunch of hate e-mails from you all after you read this, so if you have a weak stomach or are an animal rights activist, you may want to skip this entry.
There is a soup called boshintang that literally translated means "healthy soup". It contains dog meat. Eating dog is NOT something that TONS of people here do. It's mostly done by older men, because it's said to be good for virility. It's not something you can necessarily find all over, but it's not served in dark alleys either.
There are dog farms where dogs are raised specifically for food. They feed them a special diet and they are never anyone's pets or dogs that they find on the street. They are very lean.
Anyway, one of my friend's dad was here this past week, and one of the things he wanted to do to explore the Korean culture was to go to a dog restaurant. So Thomas rounded up several people (mostly foreigners) and we all went to a dog restaurant.
SO, I ate dog.
It looks and tastes like any other type of meat. Sort of like a "gamey" version of beef. I only ate a piece just to try it. Most of my friends liked the taste but it's not something we're going to make a habit of. It's also very expensive. For one serving it's $18 because it's pretty rare.
One thing I found funny is that there was a lot of religious paraphenalia on the walls. Jesus posters and such. Jesus watched me eat dog!
I told some of my older classes that I was going to eat dog and at least 3 students in each class had tried it at some point. A lot of the kids really were against it though.
Anyway, I did it as a cultural experience and I don't plan to do it again......But when in Rome........
P.S. Angie made the above drawing...notice my name is spelled "Shanyun". That's because "nyun" in Korean means "bitch", and it just fit in so nicely with my name...how sweet of her...

5 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

Ewww...that would be weird but I suppose it's like you said "When in Rome.."

That picture of your friend acting like a dog is hilarious!

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to embrace the culture--or at least a bite of it. I don't know if I will try it when I'm there, but if I don't I can live vicariously through your experience. Btw...you and Angie look HOT!! Hug her for me :)

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats pretty brave of you! I admire you for at least trying, although I keep envisioning all of my friends' dogs on your plate...

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannyun you say that you had a piece of dog meat? well..
People at our table complained that you were eating so much and so quickly that they couldn't have it that much. ^^
Nicole.. Shannyun didn't hug me for you..................

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have GOT to be kidding...

(and on a sidenote, Chris and I got another puppy...)

shawn

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home