Friday, September 08, 2006

Going to Japan....again!

Ok, so I couldn't let my 6 day October break come and go without leaving the country....so Nicole and I are going to go to Japan! (Nicole is my friend who visited me in March and decided to come back here to teach. She arrived 2 weeks ago). This time, instead of going to Tokyo, we're going to fly into Hiroshima, stay there for a couple days, then travel to nearby Kyoto, stay there for 2 nights, and spend one night in Osaka. We've already booked our flights and hotels.
Chuseok (a sort of Korean Thanksgiving, when everyone goes home to their families or travels)is why I have this break, but because everyone in Korea has off work, flights to everywhere in Southeast Asia are at peak prices. Lucky for my pocketbook, many Koreans don't want to go to Japan, as there are still some hard feelings about the 50 or so years that Japan colonized Korea in the early 1900's.
In Hiroshima we're staying at this place called the "World Friendship Center", which is run by antinuclear activists. They give free guided tours of the nearby Peace Memorial Park, and they also set up meetings between their guests and A-bomb survivors. Nicole and I are going to try to do that.
Fall is one of the best times to go to Japan because the weather and the colors will be beautiful. 2 weeks away!! Yipee!

1 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

Sounds like fun! Have a great time!

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home