Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Door County July 2007

This July when I was home for the month, my family rented a cottage on Lake Michigan in Door County, Wisconsin. It was 10 days of perfect weather, cookouts, campfires on the beach, and lots of family time. I'll let the pictures tell the story. I had a GREAT time!!

Heidi, mom and Rita out for a classy dinner on the town. We're sooo Sex and the City...errr, Country. Is that a cosmopolitan I see?
The gang waiting for a true Door County Fish Boil. First one I've ever seen. What I saw, but put more eloquently by Wikipedia:

"The cooking of the Lake Michigan Whitefish is an elaborate presentation. Restaurants typically ask that patrons arrive a half hour early to witness the boiling. The fish and potatoes are placed in a cast-iron kettle. When the water comes to a boil the potatoes, kept in a wire basket, are lowered in.

The fish are then placed in another wire basket and lowered in. When the fish oils rise to the top of the pot, the boiler will add a small amount of kerosene to the flames. The increase in flames causes a boilover, the fish oils spill over the side of the pot, and the fish is done."

Here's my explanation: There was a big explosion and our fish was done. It was yummy.
Ryan, Stephanie, and Riley (my nephew!). Great family photo.




My dad, mom, Uncle Carl, Aunt Rita and Heidi having some wine at cheese at Simon Creek Winery in Door County. Wine tasting is fun. There was definitely no shortage of alcohol that week....

Gorgeous sunsets were aplenty! This was our view every night. Our campfire pit was on the beach...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home