Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2007 already?

Happy New Year everybody!
I can't believe 2006 came and went already. Overall, it was an awesome year for me. Lots of travel, adventure, and life-enriching experiences. I hope 2007 can be as good.
Although the overall year was good, the last couple of weeks have been filled with ups and downs. First off, I was offered not one but TWO university positions in Seoul. The timing was a bit off, since I verbally accepted one, only to get a better offer from a different university less than a week later. We're still working out the details, but within the next day I'll know which job I'm taking. It's actually been really stressful deciding between the two of them, because of course there are pros and cons to each (not to mention I gave my verbal acceptance already, so I'll have to let someone down). Either way, I'm going back to Seoul in February for another year!! I'm really excited about it. A better job working with university students, 6-8 weeks of vacation time, new people, old friends, and more travel!
In other news...January 6-12 I'll be flying down to Biloxi/Gulfport Mississippi with a group of people (including my aunt and uncle) to help clean up some of the hurricane damage. Even though Hurricane Katrina and Rita happened a year and a half ago(!), there is still so much damage and rebuilding needed. It really pulled at my heartstrings when it happened and I would have really liked to have gone down and helped right away, but they were really discouraging untrained volunteers from going. The mess was just too big. Now that so much time has passed, it's a little less crazy down there so finally I'll get to go help out! We'll be doing some debris removal and possibly some home rebuilding. I'm not really skilled in those departments, but I'll do what I can since I'm not working right now anyway.
Another interesting happening....the apartment I lived in for 2 years near Brady Street on Milwaukee's East side burned down on Christmas Eve! I was watching "It's a Wonderful Life" on TV that night, and the local news came on with that as a top news story. I was absolutely shocked. A little over a year ago it would have been me in there! Luckily everyone got out alive, but the apartment is VERY damaged. A few days later I went to have a look at it and it was really depressing. The whole front wall of the house was gone (like a dollhouse), and I could see directly into my old apartment!! Sad.
On a lighter note, I've been able to spend a lot of quality time with my closest friends and family lately. It's been wonderful! And like I said, it's like I never left!
I hope you all have a wonderful new year and thanks for keeping up with my asian invasion! There will be more to come in 2007!

1 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

Congratulations on your multiple job offers! I'm sure the one you'll pick will work out well.

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home